Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Bento # 5

I'm back! No bento yesterday because I didn't have class. Todays bento was thrown together while I was very tired so its not the best bento ever ^^ but I did get to try out my new mini cookie cutters and baran!

I really love my new cookie cutters they are so adorable! I got a 'Noah's Ark' themed one and a Halloween themed one! I can't wait for Halloween, its one of my favorite holidays, I love to get dressed up!

Here we have left over Lo mein (bought as lunch yesterday, I really want to learn to make my own though) with Chicken Tsukune pieces and Carrot Kinpira. Stir-fried vegetables, grape tomatoes, Cheese wheel, Strawberries and kiwi chunks and finally Tamagoyaki! Oh and cheese cut outs ^.^


Sadly my tamagoyaki never ends up yellow but that's probably because I use Dark soy sauce and I only use one egg as opposed to the original recipe which calls for four eggs. I just can't eat that many eggs in any one sitting.

As for the stir-fried vegetables I really have to say that this is my favorite way of eating vegetables, and if you have picky kids, try this. Its really simple and quite healthy. I made mine using very little oil (I use sesame to give a little more flavor), a sauce that I like to make and soy sauce. Add the vegetables and sesame seeds for color and that's all there is to it! I used frozen vegetables and it only took me a few minutes to make last night. If you want some heat you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes.

The sauce that I use is really quite simple and it goes really well with just about everything, chicken, vegetables and pasta-I like to pour some on cheese ravioli with peppers and onions.

This recipe is not mine and it comes from the Williams-Sonoma Asian cookbook but here it is:
  • 2 tbsp of Water
  • 2 tbsp of Soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp of either Tomato paste or Ketchup
  • 1 tsp of Sesame Oil
  • 1 tsp of Sugar (I use Splenda)
  • 1/4 tsp of Cornstarch (to help thicken the sauce)
Combine and whisk together to dissolve the Sugar and the Cornstarch.

I usually double this recipe and keep it in a squeeze bottle in my refrigerator because it goes so well with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment